Friday, October 21, 2011

Cake - "Ruby Sees All"

I must confess that the band Cake was never really on my radar screen.  "Ruby Sees All" streamed on my Pandora this week and caught my attention.  Turns out I did have several of their songs in my music library but I didn't know a l lot about them until this week.  What I know now is I like several of their songs very much.  I appreciate their unique sound, their use of the trumpet and the chances they take with structure and lyrics.

Wikipedia describes them as follows: Cake is an American alternative rock band from Sacramento, California. Consisting of singer John McCrea, trumpeter Vince DiFiore, guitarist Xan McCurdy, bassist Gabe Nelson and drummer Paulo Baldi, the band has been noted for McCrea's sarcastic lyrics and deadpan voice, DiFiore's trumpet parts, and their wide-ranging musical influences, including country music, Mariachi, rock, funk, Iranian folk music and hip-hop.

I can't say I know too many bands that have been influenced by Iranian folk music!
Anyway, today's song selection comes from their 1994 album entitled 'Motorcade of Generosity.'
Funky little beat and trumpet for your listening pleasure...ENJOY.

Listen to "Ruby Sees All"
From the album 'Motorcade of Generosity'

Click here to view a live Cake video of "Ruby Sees All."
Click here to view Cake tour dates.

No comments:

Post a Comment